March 20, 2017

Kdrama Review: Cheese in the Trap

Cheese in the Trap is one of the must-watch korean drama of 2016, well according to my google search. I honestly don't have any plan of watching this drama inspite of the hype surrounding it until I saw Seo Kang Joon as guest in The Return of Superman. I googled him right away (google is such a great help! πŸ˜‚) and found out that he is on Cheese in the Trap. I gave this drama a try and now sharing a short review.
Cheese in the Trap Casts
Cheese in the Trap casts
The story is quite ordinary. It revolves around Hong Seol - a university student living a life full of struggles; from school down to her family and Yoo Jung - a rich, handsome sunbae who has almost everything, who is loved by everyone. Familiar plot, eh? There is nothing special on the plot itself but nevertheless, I like how it showcased the main characters' slice of life - in school, family, friends and even their inner self and did not just focus on romance.

The characters set this drama apart. Why?  

1. Creepy male lead. Yes, he is so weird and mysterious. At times, I find him bipolar. Hahaha! He's the weirdest male lead I saw (so far). His character is disturbing but I think that piqued my curiousity enough that I had to watch until the last episode just to see how his character is revealed. Hands down to his acting though! It was realistic and believable.😱
Cheese in Trap Hong Seol and Yoo Jung played by Kim Go Eun and Park Hae Jin
I personally don't like Seol and Jung together, they are so shy and awkward (well maybe because Seol is Shy and awkward! hahaha) with each other. All throughout the drama, I was doubtful of Jung's love for Seol.
Cheese in Trap Hong Seol and Yoo Jung played by Kim Go Eun and Park Hae Jin
2. Introvert Female Lead Seol. I was surpised when she eventually gave in to Jung. I don't ship them, but I loved how her character was used to reveal Jung's identity. She wasn't the typical female lead who will have a huge makeover at the end (well physically) but she grew from that introvert girl to a girl who speaks her mind. Despite that, she proved that she is beautiful just the way she is which explains why the three men (Jung, In Ho, Young Gon) went crazy over her.
Cheese in the trap backhug of Hong Seol and Yoo Jung
3. 2nd lead Baek In HoOf course I am bias here. I love Baek In Ho; his rugged yet yielding personality. Seol is more comfortable and carefree with him around unlike the awkwardness when he's with Yoo Jung. 😍
Cheese in the trap Hong Seol and Baek In Ho piano scene
How I wish they end up together. Lol. 2nd lead syndrome here after Gong Tae Kwang. 
Cheese in the trap Hong Seol and Baek In Ho with Baek In Ho blushing
4. Seol's Cute stalker. Young Gon's acting was plausible! He is really scary and annoying, but isn't he too cute to be a stalker? πŸ™ŠAgree? 
Cheese in the trap Oh Young Gon-  stalker of Hong Seol
5. Beautiful In Ha. She's undoubtedly pretty even with those strange outfits. I guess she's the only one who can pull it off. I love her fashion sense! πŸ‘§πŸ’„
Cheese in the trap Baek In Ha played by Lee Sung Kyung
Her acting as a crazy sister and lover is a bit over the top but she is totally convincing. I just love Lee Sung Kyung. 
Cheese in the trap Baek In Ha played by Lee Sung Kyung
6.Eun Tek and Bora. Seol is very blessed to have these two as her closest friends - uplifting her when she's sad and protecting her against weirdos. In spite of the fact that they were always with Seol, I am glad that they were able to expressed their feelings and had their own small romantic scenes.
Cheese in the trap Jang Bora and Kwon Eun Taek hug played by Park Min Ji and Nam Joo Hyuk
The ending. I felt like it did not end properly. I was left hanging. Probably the writers chose that mysterious and artistic ending wherein the audience get to create their own ending. The limit is the audience's imagination. LOL! Season 2? Nah.. It's better left that way. 

Have you watched this drama? What are your thoughts on the ending?

Verdict. 6.6/10 I enjoyed the first half of this drama but it started to get boring. I was waiting for the climax until the last episode but I was disappointed. μ΄κ²Œ 뭐야!! This drama could have been better if we saw development of the story.

Other reviews:
Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
The Heirs
Legend of the Blue Sea

Photos are from the following links:
http://asianwiki.com/images/f/ff/Cheese_in_the_Trap-p2.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment